The Council on the Prevention and Elimination of Discrimination and Ensuring Equality is an autonomous, unbiased and independent public authority, established in 2013.
The Council members are appointed by the Parliament of Moldova for a 5-year term. Membership: Ian Feldman, Oxana Gumennaia, Doina Ioana Straisteanu, Andrei Brighidin and Lucia Gavrilita.
The legal basis – Law No.121on Ensuring Equality, of May 25, 2012.
The Council is chaired by Ian Feldman.
Mission of the Council: we provide protection against discrimination, ensure equality and reinstate the rights of discriminated people.
Duties of the Council:
- examine the complaints about alleged acts of discrimination,
- adopt decisions, ex-officio action notes, and consultative opinions,
- prepare motions and notifications,
- develop studies and reports on discrimination.
Our priority objectives:
1. Examine complaints and ex-officio action notes;
2. Improve the legislation and change the practices in the area of discrimination;
3. Cooperate with the public authorities to sanction the discriminatory acts;
4. Increase public awareness about the phenomenon of discrimination;
5. Cooperate with the civil society and with national or international institutions.