The Council for the Prevention and Liquidation of Discrimination and Ensuring Equality (Council for Equality) was established in 2013 on the basis of the Law on ensuring equality. The Council consists of 5 members, assisted by an administrative apparatus. Members’ term of appointment is five years. Two members of the current composition of the Council were appointed by the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova in March 2013, while the other three – in June 2013. Respectively, the first two members’ term of appointment expires in March 2018 and the appointment of the other three – in June 2018.
Prior to the official launch of the process of selecting members for the composition of the new Council, the UN Human Rights Office and the Council for Equality are launching this public appeal to all persons interested to apply for the position of member of the Council for Equality.
February through March 2018, the Council for Equality and the UN Human Rights Office will organize an advanced training course in the field of international and national standards relating to the preventing and combating discrimination and ensuring equality. This course will be facilitated by the current members of the Council for Equality and UN experts in the field of human rights, and is aimed to advanced training of the potential candidates for the position of the member of the Council. The course will include 5-6 one-day sessions, February through March 2018, and will cover the following aspects:
• UN conventions and mechanisms in the field of human rights and non-discrimination, with particular emphasis on the General comments of the UN specialized committees in the field of human rights;
• Jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights in the field of non-discrimination;
• Protected characteristics, including the ones covered by the “other similar characteristics” clause;
• Indirect discrimination, particularly in the field of economic, social and cultural rights;
• System discrimination and anti-discrimination analysis of public policies and normative acts;
• National practice of the Council for Equality and judicial bodies judging the cases of discrimination
Persons interested in participation at the training have to meet the following criteria:
1. To demonstrate the intention to run for the position of member of the Council for Equality;
2. To satisfy the criteria referring to the members of the Council: (http://lex.justice.md/index.php?action=view&view=doc&lang=1&id=343361; Article 11(2). par. (3));
3. To have a day off to participate in the course – once every 2 weeks.
Interested persons are invited to submit their declarations of interest by standard electronic communication to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, in the form of:
a) Letter of motivation;
b) Personal CV.
Deadline for the submission of the declaration of interest is 31st January, 2018.
We encourage to apply women and persons from groups underrepresented in the public bodies of the Republic of Moldova (disabled persons, ethnic-linguistic and religious minorities, persons living in the regions of the country, etc.).